June 02, 2006

Street Drama

Want to commit suicide? Don't bother to do it yourself. Too much trouble. Just walk on the roads of Pune and viola, you're flattened in 60 seconds flat!
Otherwise if you're just an innocent pedestrian then god bless you. Every time I walk on the roads, I take my life in my hands and pray fervently that it does not end up under the wheels of those quickie cars. Yes, there are more pavements now but apparently drivers cannot tell the difference between a sidewalk and a road.

There are also some evil bikers out on these roads. They love to come out of their way to the spot where you are walking so that you’re forced to move out of your way for them. Nothing pleases them more than your special 'hey-you-nearly-killed-me-!!!' face.

If you’re a pedestrian, you’re definitely severely abused during the monsoons. No vehicle accepts your existence and simply whizzes by, splashing mucky puddle “water” all over you. Sometimes you have to walk through the puddles if the whole road is flooded. And sometimes the puddles are filled with cow-shit.
Crossing the road is a big problem, especially at 6PM. Its packed, crammed and yet the vehicles are moving fast. That’s when you have two options:
1. Either you wait for the traffic to lessen a bit. This could leave you waiting until 11PM.
2. You just plunge into the road and zigzag your way out of the chaos. Of course this is pretty risky, but then, desperation conquers all. Sometimes this can cause you nearly bang into a car. If (by grace) the car stops for you, another bangs into it. And if you’re caught, you gotta pay for the damage. So if and when this happens my dear, run out of sight. Jump into a garbage truck if you have to but RUN OUT OF SIGHT.

Oh the woes of a pedestrian… Somebody, give me the directions to Fairyland. I’ll walk there if I have to but at least I’ll live happily ever after.

No comments: